Thanks to the generous support of the German Government through the KfW, recovering damaged and degraded reefs in the MAR region, is a tangible possibility through the Mesoamerican Reef Rescue Initiative.
Objective: The overall objective of the Reef Rescue Initiative is to contribute to the conservation of the Mesoamerican Reef by increasing the resilience and recovery ability of the MAR and thereby the environmental and cultural services it provides, through:
- Capacity building,
- Economic incentives and
- Financial sustainability required for effective and timely restoration.
All required for the effective and timely restoration
The main Initiative´s main approaches are:
- Continuing restoration: Based on diverse coral restoration techniques in reef areas that have been degraded or damage.
- Emergency Response: Inmediate response actions to recover the reefs for damages caused by hurricanes or possible ship groundings.
This innovative project is implemented by the MAR Fund, and the Central American Commission on Environment and Development (CCAD), with the participation of the four countries that share the reef system: Belize, Guatemala, Honduras and Mexico.
Click on the buttons to open the collapsible content.
Study 1 Correlation Damages and Parameters
Study 2 Cost Estimation
Study 3 Insurance Concept
1. Beneficiary Analysis for the MAR
2. Financial Risk Anlysis for the MAR
12.2 Reef Restoration Guide Video
12.3 Short videos: interviews with experts in restoration of the MAR
Regional Strategic Workshop: Building Resilience and Addressing Risk in the Mesoamerican Reef
2. Event Charter
3. Press Release
6. Speakers Presentations
3. Financial Sustainability for the recovery and resilience of the Mesoamerican Reef
Innovative financial mechanisms to manage risk and build resilience in reef systems
and their dependent populations
CCAD-MAR Regional Strategic Workshop
4. Sinergias y coordinación con otros proyectos, estrategias, planes e iniciativas regionales
bajo el marco de la ERAM/ERCA
Carlos Rodríguez Olivet
Especialista Marino Costero y Salvaguardas Proyecto MAR2R-CCAD/GEF-WWF
12. Mejorar nuestra comprensión del riesgo y la resiliencia de los arrecifes de coral mediante el
intercambio de información y avances de la colaboración entre HRI y AGRRA.
Ana Giró – Healthy Reefs Initiative
Patricia Kramer – AGRRA