Thanks to the generous support of the German Government through the KfW, recovering damaged and degraded reefs in the MAR region, is a tangible possibility through the Mesoamerican Reef Rescue Initiative.
Objective: The overall objective of the Reef Rescue Initiative is to contribute to the conservation of the Mesoamerican Reef by increasing the resilience and recovery ability of the MAR and thereby the environmental and cultural services it provides, through:
- Capacity building,
- Economic incentives and
- Financial sustainability required for effective and timely restoration.
All required for the effective and timely restoration
The main Initiative´s main approaches are:
- Continuing restoration: Based on diverse coral restoration techniques in reef areas that have been degraded or damage.
- Emergency Response: Inmediate response actions to recover the reefs for damages caused by hurricanes or possible ship groundings.
This innovative project is implemented by the MAR Fund, and the Central American Commission on Environment and Development (CCAD), with the participation of the four countries that share the reef system: Belize, Guatemala, Honduras and Mexico
a. Technical Project Committee Meetings
b. Regional Meetings & Workshops
c. Country Meetings & Workshop
Click on the buttons to open the collapsible content.
Study 1 Correlation Damages and Parameters
Study 2 Cost Estimation
Study 3 Insurance Concept
1. Beneficiary Analysis for the MAR
2. Financial Risk Anlysis for the MAR